The fleur de lis is a symbol that is deeply ingrained in Louisiana's history and I use it in many of my handmade jewelry designs, including the fleur de lis necklace, fleur de lis bracelet and fleur de lis earrings pictured above. Many people are interested in the fleur de lis meaning so I wanted to give you a little information about this beautiful and ancient symbol that is seen on the Louisiana state flag and in architecture across the state.
The fleur de lis is a considered a "stylized" lily (in French, fleur means "flower", and lis means "lily") that has been used since ancient times in association with French royalty and in religious symbolism.
The fleur de lis symbol has been regarded as a sign of purity since antiquity. In fact, the Catholic Church has used the fleur-de-lis emblem both as a symbol of the Holy Trinity as well as an emblem of the Virgin Mary.
So there you have it! Hopefully now you know a little more about this beautiful symbol than you knew before!
Here are a just a few interesting facts about freshwater pearls:
1. The pearl is the only jewel found in a living animal
2. Freshwater pearls account for about 95% of the total global pearl production
3. Freshwater pearls are formed in mussels living in lakes, creek beds and river bottoms
4. Freshwater pearls are produced commercially in China, Japan and the United States (in the Mississippi River Basin)
5. The earliest record of pearls used as precious objects are artifacts from Mesopotamia, dated 2300 B.C.
6. A single mussel is capable of producing up to 50 pearls at a time!
Elegant handmade bracelets with a delicate fleur de lis charm. These are so easy to wear and go with anything in your closet - from your favorite jeans and tee shirt to your "go to" dress for date night with your husband! The tiny freshwater pearls add an extra touch of elegance.
Easy to clean with a simple wipe of a silver cleaning cloth!
Laura lives in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and creates jewelry inspired by ancient and contemporary designs and motifs.