So Many Different Kinds of Pearls!
Just in time for June Birthday gifting!
What is an akoya pearl?
I have been reading up on akoya vs. freshwater pearls because I LOVE pearls and I wanted to find out about all these different types of pearls. Bottom line? Akoyas are saltwater and are grown in Japan. Freshwater pearls are from China and are grown in fresh water! Oh, yes, one more thing, freshwater pearls are WAY more affordable than akoyas and, besides that, they are beautiful! For my money? It's freshwater pearls, all the way! Read more about freshwater pearls here.
So Many Different Kinds of Pearls!
Freshwater pearls, which come from rivers and lakes in China, are the most popular of all types of pearls. Although they come in a huge range of colors, I work almost exclusively with white or cream pearls; these more natural pearl colors have been so popular, especially when paired with sterling silver! A classic combination! Click HERE to see all the freshwater pearl jewelry!
There are so many different types of bracelets! I'll talk about 2 types here with more to follow on another day.
The Difference Between Gold-Filled and Gold-Plated Jewelry
Gold-filled jewelry is jewelry composed of a thick layer of gold bonded to the outside of a high quality jeweler's brass core. The gold-filled jewelry we use is solid 14k gold over the base which means that the gold on the outside is "real". Click here or here to see examples of my handmade jewelry using gold-filled wire!
The 14k gold that’s on the outside of gold-filled is the same gold as you would get from a solid 14k piece so gold-filled pieces have the same appearance as solid 14k gold jewelry!
It's interesting that all the gold on "gold-filled" jewelry is on the outside - there is actually no gold "filling". Pretty confusing terminology!
Gold "plating", on the other hand, is a minuscule layer of solid gold applied to a brass base. The plating does not compose any measurable proportion of the product’s total weight. Gold plating can wear off quickly and expose the brass base product. It does not stand up to heat, water or wear over time. If you want jewelry that lasts, avoid anything "plated".
By comparison, gold-filled contains 5% gold by weigh. All the gold is on the surface is solid, "real" 14K gold, which offers product protection from tarnish and wear.
Click HERE to see an example of my handmade jewelry using gold-filled wire!
So, there you have it! Now you are an informed jewelry shopper so get out there & have fun!
Need help choosing the perfect earrings for your round face shape?
First of all, it can be hard to determine your face shape! Here are some simple things to consider:
* is your face about the the same length from the tip of your nose to all sides?
* is your widest at your cheekbones?
* do you have a round chin line?
Now for the fun! When you are choosing the perfect earrings for your round face shape, consider drop or tapered earrings - these will elongate your face a bit. (Disc earrings, on the other hand, can make your face look wider.)
You are already beautiful and have fun with your earring selection - at the end of the day, choose earrings and other accessories that make you feel confident and strong!
Do you sometimes find your jewelry looking like this when you open your suitcase? I know I do and it's no fun to untangle everything just to have something to wear.
Here are 5 tips for helping your organize your jewelry so it will be ready when you are - no more wasting precious vacation time untangling all those chains and earrings!
1. Buy or make a beautiful jewelry organizer....I know, it seems obvious but if you have a really cute jewelry organizer, like this one from Vera Bradley, you are much more likely to keep everything where it belongs!
2. Buttons are great for organizing earrings - just put the posts or earwires through the holes in the button and, voila! - earring sets stay together! Earrings could all go together in a small ziplock bag for better organization.
3. Use pill organizers! They come in lots of different sizes and are inexpensive - everything stays separate from other jewelry and easy to grab & go.
4. How about simply using a small ziplock for each item and then put the small ziplocks into one larger one? Simple and effective!
5. Plan out what you will be wearing on your trip and limit the jewelry you take - each piece that goes into your bag must work with at least two outfits that you plan to wear. Limit large statement necklaces - they tend to be heavy and take up precious room in your suitcase.
First, choose a time when you have a couple of hours to yourself. If you attempt to squeeze this in among all the other things you need to do, you’ll just end up frustrated! Now get yourself a nice cup of tea or coffee and settle in for an enjoyable afternoon of simplifying your life, one necklace at a time!
You probably have a fairly large pile of jewelry once you get it all out to begin the process of paring down and simplifying. Here are some simple steps to take:
First, sort your jewelry into 3 piles (at this point, don’t pay attention to cost of the pieces):
1. Jewelry you absolutely love, for whatever reason – maybe it was a gift from someone special or something you bought for yourself and still love.
2. Jewelry pieces that are your “staple” items – the jewelry you wear over & over, day after day and day into night.
3. Jewelry you once loved but now….not so much
4. Jewelry that you never loved & still don’t.
So now you have two main categories – #1 & #2 above are your “keepers”.
Categories #3 and #4 are the ones we need to think about a little more.
We will tackle this in the next post so stay tuned!
I am Laura Teague and you may as well know right up front that I am obsessed with sterling silver.
I have been making sterling silver (and sometimes gold) jewelry for about 15 years. I am largely self taught (lots and lots of practice!) but have also taken classes with local and nationally known metal workers.
Originally from Arkansas I currently live and work in my adopted home state, Louisiana, where we regularly dodge hurricanes but enjoy the wonderful people and food here!
You can read more about me on my About Page.
If you want to shop the jewelry, you can click here to go to my online store.
14k Rose Gold Jewelry
All The Colors
Art I Like
Behind The Scenes
Books I Love
Clean Silver Jewelry
Collection: Elegant Vintage
Collection: La Luna
Collection: Little Luxuries
Fleur De Lis Jewelry
Happy New Year
In Vacation Mode
Jewelry Tips & Info
Mixed Metal Jewelry
Mother's Day Gifts
Silver Stacking Rings
T1D Looks Like Me
This Makes Me Laugh!