Do you sometimes find your jewelry looking like this when you open your suitcase? I know I do and it's no fun to untangle everything just to have something to wear.
Here are 5 tips for helping your organize your jewelry so it will be ready when you are - no more wasting precious vacation time untangling all those chains and earrings!
1. Buy or make a beautiful jewelry organizer....I know, it seems obvious but if you have a really cute jewelry organizer, like this one from Vera Bradley, you are much more likely to keep everything where it belongs!
2. Buttons are great for organizing earrings - just put the posts or earwires through the holes in the button and, voila! - earring sets stay together! Earrings could all go together in a small ziplock bag for better organization.
3. Use pill organizers! They come in lots of different sizes and are inexpensive - everything stays separate from other jewelry and easy to grab & go.
4. How about simply using a small ziplock for each item and then put the small ziplocks into one larger one? Simple and effective!
5. Plan out what you will be wearing on your trip and limit the jewelry you take - each piece that goes into your bag must work with at least two outfits that you plan to wear. Limit large statement necklaces - they tend to be heavy and take up precious room in your suitcase.
If you are like most women, you have a lot of jewelry of all types in your jewelry box. What to do with all of it? It’s overwhelming to think about much less do anything about! Know this: you can manage your jewelry as part of your ongoing plan to simplify your life – ready? Let’s do this!
First, choose a time when you have a couple of hours to yourself. If you attempt to squeeze this in among all the other things you need to do, you’ll just end up frustrated! Now get yourself a nice cup of tea or coffee and settle in for an enjoyable afternoon of simplifying your life, one necklace at a time!
You probably have a fairly large pile of jewelry once you get it all out to begin the process of paring down and simplifying. Here are some simple steps to take:
First, sort your jewelry into 3 piles (at this point, don’t pay attention to cost of the pieces):
1. Jewelry you absolutely love, for whatever reason – maybe it was a gift from someone special or something you bought for yourself and still love.
2. Jewelry pieces that are your “staple” items – the jewelry you wear over & over, day after day and day into night.
3. Jewelry you once loved but now….not so much
4. Jewelry that you never loved & still don’t.
So now you have two main categories – #1 & #2 above are your “keepers”.
Categories #3 and #4 are the ones we need to think about a little more.
We will tackle this in the next post so stay tuned!
Laura lives in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and creates jewelry inspired by ancient and contemporary designs and motifs.