Here are a just a few interesting facts about freshwater pearls:
1. The pearl is the only jewel found in a living animal
2. Freshwater pearls account for about 95% of the total global pearl production
3. Freshwater pearls are formed in mussels living in lakes, creek beds and river bottoms
4. Freshwater pearls are produced commercially in China, Japan and the United States (in the Mississippi River Basin)
5. The earliest record of pearls used as precious objects are artifacts from Mesopotamia, dated 2300 B.C.
6. A single mussel is capable of producing up to 50 pearls at a time!